Matamata College encourages students to take part in the range of different sports and cultural activities on offer.
The following sports are available for Matamata College students:
Summer: Equestrian, Touch, Swimming, Cricket, Tennis, Athletics, Cross Country and Ki-o-rahi.
Winter: Badminton, Football, Basketball, Rugby, Lacrosse, Hockey and Netball.
All Year: Volleyball, Squash, Clay Target Shooting, Bowls, Golf Croquet and Motocross.
The main competitions our students are involved in are Thames Valley and Waikato/Bay of Plenty Secondary Schools competitions. These are over and above the regular club and school competitions that are held weekly throughout the year.
The secondary schools competitions give our students the opportunity to see how they stack up against their peers in the region. It is also an opportunity for students participating in sports that do not have regular weekly competitions to work towards a goal and if successful, perhaps even continuing on to participate at a national level.
Please do not hesitate to contact our Sports Coordinator, Kirstin Atkinson if you have any queries regarding sport at Matamata College.
There are also a range of cultural extra-curricular activities available here at Matamata College.
Itinerant lessons are free of charge and available for string, brass, woodwind, vocal, guitar and bass dependent on availability of space. Students need to provide their own instruments for lessons with the exception of guitars and bass. Extra-curricular activities include choir, jazz band,rock band, talent quest and production which are held either during lunchtimes and/or after school.
Students that join Kapahaka will be actively involved in a number of events throughout the school year:
- School visits from the local primary schools and Matamata Intermediate
- Matariki Concert – performances held at Matamata College with other local primary schools and Matamata Intermediate to celebrate the Matariki Festival
- Te Wairere Exchange – an annual exchange with Morrinsville College, involving kapahaka, debating, rugby and netball competitions
- Cultural Exchanges – these are held frequently with the large number of visiting International and Sporting groups the school hosts every year
Extra-curricular activities for Drama include the following:
- Sheliah Winn Shakespeare Festival
- Theatresports tournaments
- Regular trips to live theatre productions in Auckland
- Junior Drama club
- Year 13 Production
- Bi-annual School Musical or Cabaret