2004 to 2009
As a real youngest Andrew was always at golf – that was inevitable as Mum, Dad, Richard and Paul were almost permanently on the course. Andrew started playing regularly at the age of 10 and showed real promise from the outset. It wasn’t long before he was winning titles and playing off a single-figure handicap – all before he reached college.
At College he played a number of sports as well as golf. He was a talented volleyball player and was in the Waikato Under 16 team for the National Tournament. For two years he played 1st XI cricket, played in the school badminton team and always performed well in athletic events – sprints and long jump.
“Performing” summed Andrew up. As a great “front person” and talker, Andrew was often on stage MCing events , hosting the talent quest and he even gained an excellence in creative writing (very proud of that achievement!)
Even though he is a very talented golfer he has pursued a career in Radio. On leaving school Andrew gained a Certificate in Radio Broadcasting and then worked in Promotions for Media Works Waikato before getting a position in Southland as a Production Engineer for Media Works Southland. He now Co-Hosts the Breakfast Show for More FM Southland. Andrew is well on the way to making a name for himself in the radio industry. His goal is to eventually move from Invercargill to something bigger and perhaps try out other media such as the tele!
Golfing wise Andrew has won a number of top tournaments but currently the clubs are playing second fiddle to his career.
Listed below are a few of his achievements from 2002 to 2011:
- Winner of the Waikato Intermediate Schools Championship (74 gross)
- Matamata College Champion and member of the College team that won the Waikato Secondary Schools Championship
- Waikato development coaching squad
- Waikato Under 16 Interprovincial team
- Matamata Golf Club Strokeplay champion (2007 and 2009)
- Waikato U19 Strokeplay
- Waikato Under 19 team
- Lowest round of his career – 64 at Te Aroha
- Member of BOP Under 19 team 2008
- Winner of Waikato Champion of Champions
- Recipient of Puahue Trust Grant
- Member of Otitara Golf Club in Invercargill (2011)
Andrew was also Hamilton Junior Cricket Association winner of the highest aggregate runs for the season, was a member of the Waikato Under 16 volleyball team and completed the Huntly Half Marathon in 2010.